Assessment Essentials is a great-value short course in what every teacher needs to know about assessment, from the creators of the acclaimed Assessment Lead Programme.
It will help you reduce workload, question and improve existing practices, and maximise the power of assessment as a tool for learning.
DURATION: 10 WEEKS
WEEKLY STUDY: 1-1.5 HOURS
Assessment Essentials focuses specifically on ‘what every teacher needs to know about assessment’.
The course follows a micro-lesson structure, designed to fit around the busy timetable of teachers and is a commitment of around 1.5 hours per week. It includes insight interviews with leading thinkers and practitioners – Dylan Wiliam, Daisy Christodoulou, John Hattie and others who will help your teachers reflect on and develop their practice.
There are two overarching goals of Assessment Essentials:
- to help make your students learning more visible and, thereby, increase confidence in the dependability of decisions made in the classroom and beyond;
- to help maximise the power of assessment as a powerful learning tool.
|1||Introduction and perspectives on assessment|
|2||Making the invisible (learning) visible|
|3||Harnessing assessment as a powerful learning event|
|4||Intent, implementation and impact|
|5||Enhancing your assessment practice|
|6||The power and potential of feedback & delivering effective feedback|
|7||Fairness in assessment|
|8||Theory into practice: selecting and designing assessments|
|9||Theory into practice: selecting and designing assessments (pt.2)|
|10||Embedding great assessment in your classroom|
Who is it for?
Try it for free!
Assessment Essentials will:
- Improve the efficiency of assessment practices, helping you reduce workload – do more with less
- Guide you to question existing practices
- Help you link assessment with curriculum and pedagogy, to improve student outcomes
- Reframe the value of assessment, offering case studies and advice from other school leaders
- Maximise the power of assessment as a tool for learning
- "A gem of a course! This is the most valuable CPD I have had in a long time. The quality of materials is excellent and the ability to work through the course in one's own time is extremely helpful for the busy teacher!"
- "The course has been genuinely useful and encouraged me to re-think some of the departmental-level assessment practices we had."
- "I have really enjoyed this course - it was exactly what I needed for my CPD and way beyond the quality my school can provide in-house!"
- "I love the activity in Week 5 and Week 10 (assessment practice and implementation). It helped me to reflect on my assessment methods. Thank you!"
- "It has been great to have conversations with a trusted colleague about new ways of assessing and helping our students improve. It has been invigorating as a professional as well to hear what other teachers are doing in the classroom."
Our other services
Research, Development & Evaluation Unit
Headed by Professor Rob Coe, our Research, Development & Evaluation Unit helps you understand and solve problems – from longitudinal studies, through research use consultancy, to independent evaluations.
Assessment Lead Programme
The Assessment Lead Programme is an acclaimed training programme with whole-school impact, and no travel or cover costs. Revolutionise the way you use assessment to foster learning.
CEM Data Training & Support
As the only training provider for CEM assessments, we have helped over 6,000 teachers, pupils and governors improve use of CEM data, in over 400 schools worldwide.