Assessment Lead Programme
Maximise assessment for learning by enhancing formative and summative assessment strategies. Award winning online training for teachers and school leaders.
DURATION: ONE YEAR
WEEKLY STUDY: 1.5-2 HOURS
The Assessment Lead Programme’s aim is to maximise assessment for learning by enhancing formative assessment and summative assessment strategies.
The programme provides a framework for improving your assessment approach through evidence-based training, practical tools and resources and guidance for implementation.
This award-winning online course is broken down into four modules. You will learn through a combination of theory, design, regular collaboration and practical application sustained over time.
How can it help enhance assessment for learning?
The Assessment Lead Programme has helped teachers and their schools enhance assessment for learning by:
1. Designing low-stakes quizzes
2. Improving the quality of end of stage/phase test to better discriminate what pupils know and can do
3. Designing and developing a reusable bank of topic – and subject-specific questions
4. Improving the quality of information teachers put into monitoring systems and assessment tools
5. Rethinking and reforming department/phase and whole-school assessment practice and policy based on the best available evidence
Evidence Based Education is partnered with the University of Buckingham to offer the Assessment in Schools module of their online MA Education (Teaching and Learning). For additional information about applying, enrolment, and requirements, you can find out more through the University of Buckingham.
Gain a robust understanding of key concepts, including our four pillars of assessment and good assessment for learning practice. Lay firm foundations for the practical design and analysis work of Modules 2 and 3.
Enjoy working through a practical and iterative process of designing and trialling assessments – both formative and summative – with your pupils.
Analyse assessment data and fine-tune questions to improve formative and summative assessments. Develop practice in evidence-based curriculum planning and tracking progress.
Create an evidence-based school assessment system. Define roles and responsibilities and improve policy and practice across your whole staff.
Who is it for?
Any English-medium primary or secondary school, FE college or academy that is committed to enhancing their assessment practice sustained over one academic year.
For the programme to have the desired impact, we strongly advise that schools enrol the senior leader responsible for assessment, plus one middle leader such as a head of department or phase. We insist on a minimum of two places – because professional development has more impact when colleagues collaborate and support each other!
What’s the format?
The programme is designed to be as flexible as possible, but structured and well-supported. Delivered entirely online, over three terms (c. 40 hours) you will:
- learn and apply the tools and resources to guide, support and implement change
- enjoy structured collaboration and support, with both your colleague(s) and other Assessment Leads on our online discussion forums
- apply your learning within your own context with practice opportunities to scaffold learning
- work towards completing the course by developing and implementing enhanced assessment strategies and practices
Try it for free!
- What does it mean to have a high-quality assessment?
- What is learning?
- What is assessment’s true value?
|Number of Places||Cost||Cost per person|
“Why did you choose the Assessment Lead Programme?”
Steve Mills, Headteacher at Whitehill Junior School, a primary school in Hertfordshire, completed the Assessment Lead Programme with his colleague Anna in 2018. We spoke with Steve to find out why he chose to enrol on the Assessment Lead Programme.
What do teachers think of the Assessment Lead Programme?
Our other services
Research, Development & Evaluation Unit
Headed by Professor Rob Coe, our Research, Development & Evaluation Unit helps you understand and solve problems – from longitudinal studies, through research use consultancy, to independent evaluations.
Assessment Essentials is a ten-week course in “what every teacher needs to know about assessment”. Ideal for individual teachers, larger groups of staff and teachers training organisations alike.
CEM Data Training & Support
As the only training provider for CEM assessments, we have helped over 6,000 teachers, pupils and governors improve use of CEM data, in over 400 schools worldwide.