Assessment Lead Programme
Enabling school leaders to make their school assessment approach more efficient and enabling staff to make more reliable judgements about what pupils know, can do and need next.
The Assessment Lead Programme was a BETT Award 2019 finalist in the category Whole-school aids for learning, teaching and assessment, and is IB-approved professional development.
DURATION: ONE YEAR
WEEKLY STUDY: 1.5-2 HOURS
The Assessment Lead Programme’s aim is to improve the efficiency of assessment as a tool to improve the quality of information that supports effective teaching and learning.
The programme itself provides a framework for improving a school’s in-house assessment approach, both formative and summative.
It includes evidence-based training, practical tools and resources, guidance for implementation, a collaborative model of development and expert support, sustained over time.
In line with the best available evidence in teacher CPD, the programme is structured over time, with participants learning and developing their practice in manageable units, at their own pace and over three school terms.
What’s the format?
The programme is flexible, but structured and well-supported. You will enjoy:
- 40 hours of professional learning aligned with the best available evidence, delivered through our very own innovative and acclaimed online learning platform
- Tools and resources to guide, support and implement change
- Structured collaboration and support – you are not alone!
- The real learning takes place in school context: practice opportunities to scaffold learning – guiding you through the whole process
- Examples from schools working through the everyday practicalities of implementing an integrated assessment system
Evidence Based Education is partnered with the University of Buckingham to offer the Assessment in Schools module of their online MA Education (Teaching and Learning). The Assessment Lead Programme forms the course content for the module and comes with additional reading, marked assignments and activities. If you are interested in the MA you can find out more here.
Gain a robust understanding of key assessment concepts, including our four pillars of assessment. Lay firm foundations for the practical design and analysis work of Modules 2 and 3.
Enjoy working through a practical and iterative process of designing and trialling assessments – both formative and summative – with your pupils.
Analyse assessment data and fine-tune questions to improve formative and summative assessments. Develop practice in evidence-based curriculum planning and tracking progress.
Create an evidence-based school assessment system. Define roles and responsibilities and improve policy and practice across your whole staff.
Who is it for?
Any English-medium primary or secondary school, FE college or academy that is committed to the below criteria can sign up to the Assessment Lead Programme.
For the programme to have the desired impact, we strongly advise that schools and participants are committed to:
• Enrolling the senior leader responsible for assessment, plus one middle leader such as a head of department or phase. We insist on a minimum of two places – because professional development has more impact when colleagues collaborate and support each other!
• Ringfencing around an hour per week for personal learning, plus around half an hour per week for Assessment Leads to meet up, discuss topics, collaborate on activities and support one another
• Supporting the programme as part of directed CPD
Try it for free!
The Assessment Lead Programme has helped teachers and their schools enhance teaching and learning by:
1. Designing low-stakes quizzes
2. Improving the quality of end of stage/phase test to better discriminate what pupils know and can do
3. Designing and developing a reusable bank of topic – and subject-specific questions
4. Improving the quality of information teachers put into monitoring systems and assessment tools
5. Rethinking and reforming department/phase and whole-school assessment practice and policy based on the best available evidence
|Number of Places||Cost||Cost per person|
Our September cohort of the Assessment Lead Programme can now be started any time between September 30th and December 31st and, in light of the coronavirus pandemic, our Early Bird Offer has now been extended too. Receive five free places on our Assessment Essentials course if you book before July 31st.
“Why did you choose the Assessment Lead Programme?”
Steve Mills, Headteacher at Whitehill Junior School, a primary school in Hertfordshire, completed the Assessment Lead Programme with his colleague Anna in 2018. We spoke with Steve to find out why he chose to enrol on the Assessment Lead Programme.
What do teachers think of the Assessment Lead Programme?
Our other services
Research, Development & Evaluation Unit
Headed by Professor Rob Coe, our Research, Development & Evaluation Unit helps you understand and solve problems – from longitudinal studies, through research use consultancy, to independent evaluations.
Assessment Essentials is a ten-week course in “what every teacher needs to know about assessment”. Ideal for individual teachers, larger groups of staff and teachers training organisations alike.
CEM Data Training & Support
As the only training provider for CEM assessments, we have helped over 6,000 teachers, pupils and governors improve use of CEM data, in over 400 schools worldwide.